Leaderboard
728x15

23/12/2008 (Day 2.358) - Computers Are Fun!

Large Rectangle

Check out these fun with photos images:


23/12/2008 (Day 2.358) - Computers Are Fun!
fun with photos
Image by Kaptain Kobold
Our stuff arrived three weeks ago, but it took until this weekend before we got to the point where we could unpack our PC and set it up on a desk. Mostly because the place we wanted to put the desk was occupied by boxes. And more boxes.

Anyway, the PC fired up OK but, owing to its lack of proximity to the router, needed a wireless adapter before we could use the internet/networking on it.

Yesterday we bought one. I set it up and it worked first time; hooray - three internet-capable machines in one house, albeit that one is a very ropey laptop.

Yesterday evening the PC decided to stop talking to the internet. Or the network. After working fine for four hours.

I went into full diagnostic mode. Checked all of the connections. Checked the configurations. Tried the wireless adapter on a laptop running the same operating system. Compared configurations and set-up across three machines. Everything seemed fine; the router could see the PC, the PC said that it had a wireless connection, but nothing was happening between them. I tried every trick I could think of, but still couldn't get connectivity. I began to think that here was a fault with the adapter, but couldn't see what it might be. Finally, this afternoon, after much hair-pulling and swearing, I found the answer.

The PC has been in a box for three months. The first thing it did after I plugged into into the internet was to go off and look for Windows updates. Then it installed them.

And one of them broke the driver for the new wireless adapter.

Yes, get an internet connection set up, so that you can immediately download software to break that connection.

The problem is now solved; I rolled back the update, then installed an updated version of the adapter'd driver. Then allowed the update to take place again; this time it left my internet connection intact.

Although something broke iTunes; I've just spent he last hour re-installing that.

Computers: more fun than anything else you might have wanted to do today.

This picture doesn't show the computer; it shows our dressing-table mirror lit by fairy-lights; we've always wanted a mirror fringed with fairy-lights. Well, I have anyway. Now we have one :-)

And I didn't flip this; I wrote on the pad backwards. Easier to do than you might think; easier than finding a quick answer to wireless networking problems, anyway.

A year ago today I went out in the fog.



Child Playing With Old Fashiond Wooden Hoop and Stick
fun with photos
Image by © 2006-2013 Pink Sherbet Photography
Child Playing With Old Fashiond Wooden Hoop and Stick

free for use

My photos that have a creative commons license and are free for everyone to download, edit, alter and use as long as you give me, "D Sharon Pruitt" credit as the original owner of the photo. Have fun and enjoy!

Banner