Check out these photo sites images:
Sailor demonstrates firefighting techniques [Image 3 of 3]
Image by DVIDSHUB
Petty Officer 1st Class Hector Floresdiaz, damage controlman, demonstrates firefighting techniques to students attending the Center for Naval Engineering Learning Site, Pearl Harbor. Floresdiaz is an instructor of naval engineering, basic and advanced damage control, and aviation and machinery room firefighting tactics.
Navy Visual News Service
Photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Mark Logico
Location: PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, HI, US
Related Photos: dvidshub.net/r/4nyd8o
DC: Eisenhower Executive Office Building
Image by wallyg
The Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB), formally known as the Old Executive Office Building (OEOB), was built from 1871 and 1888 to house the growing staffs of the State, War, and Navy Departments. Located on 17th Street, N.W., between Pennsylvania Avenue and New York Avenue, and West Executive Drive, it is owned by General Services Administration and currently occupied by the agencies of the Executive Office of the President, such as the White House Office, the Office of the Vice President, the Office of Management and Budget and the National Security Council. Supervising Architect Alfred B. Mullett's design is considered one of the best examples of French Second Empire architecture in the country. Much of the interior was designed by Richard von Ezdorf using fireproof cast-iron structural and decorative elements.
The first executive offices were constructed on sites flanking the White House between 1799 and 1820. A series of fires and overcrowding conditions led to the construction of the Treasury Building, whose North Wing necessitated the demolition of the State Department Building in 1866. Congress appointed a commission to find a replacement in 1869, and by the time construction began in 1871, it was set to incorporate the War and Navy Departments. Gradually, the original tenants outgrew and vacated the building--the Navy Department in 1918, followed by the War Department in 1938, and finally by the State Department in 1947. The White House began to move some of its offices across West Executive Avenue in 1939, and in 1949 the building was turned over to the Executive Office of the President and renamed the Executive Office Building. In 1957, President Eisenhower's Advisory Committee on Presidential Office Space recommended demolition but public outcry and associated cost saved the building.
Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson, Gerald Ford, and George H. W. Bush all had offices in this building before becoming President. It has housed 16 Secretaries of the Navy, 21 Secretaries of War, and 24 Secretaries of State. Winston Churchill once walked its corridors and Japanese emissaries met here with Secretary of State Cordell Hull after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. President Herbert Hoover occupied the Secretary of Navy's office for a few months following a fire in the Oval Office on Christmas Eve 1929. In recent history, President Richard Nixon had a private office here. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was the first in a succession of Vice Presidents to the present day that have had offices in the building.
Lafayette Square Historic District, roughly bordered by 15th and 17th Sts. and H St. and State and Treasury Places, exclusive of the White House and its grounds, covers the seven-acre public park, Lafayette Square, and its surrounding structures including the Executive Office Building, Blair House, the Treasury Building, the Decatur House, and St. John's Episcopal Church.
National Register #69000293 (1969)
Lafayette Square Historic District National Register #70000833 (1970)
Dragline and Workers at Site of Oil Spill Clean - Up Operations on the San Juan River in Monument Valley, Utah, 10/1972
Image by The U.S. National Archives
Original Caption: Dragline and Workers at Site of Oil Spill Clean - Up Operations on the San Juan River in Monument Valley, Utah. This Is a Very Remote Spot, Accessible Only on Foot Or by Boat Or Helicopter Pipeline Company Crews Were Aided by Army, Coast Guard, Park Service and BLM Personnel and Equipment. Operations Were Supervised by the EPA, 10/1972
U.S. National Archives’ Local Identifier: 412-DA-3177
Photographer: Hiser, David, 1937-
Powell Lake (Duchesne county, Utah, United States) lake
Environmental Protection Agency
Persistent URL: arcweb.archives.gov/arc/action/ExternalIdSearch?id=545664
Repository: Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S), National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, 20740-6001.
For information about ordering reproductions of photographs held by the Still Picture Unit, visit: www.archives.gov/research/order/still-pictures.html
Reproductions may be ordered via an independent vendor. NARA maintains a list of vendors at www.archives.gov/research/order/vendors-photos-maps-dc.html
Access Restrictions: Unrestricted
Use Restrictions: Unrestricted